the gaybar chronicles

the gaybar chronicles
gaybar gaybar

Wednesday 29 December 2010

REVIEW OF THE YEAR

In my first full year as a runner I've competed in about 20 races. I've been keeping a running diary so every run has been logged. I've ran over 1200 miles but i'm sure that it would of been a fair few more had it not been for a spell of about 6 weeks in the summer when I was running a race every weekend and just ticking over through the week.
It's all about the races for me so here's my top 3 of the year.
In third place is 'The Coastal'. This race is a proper event. I think i'm right in saying it's been voted the best race in Britain before and I can see why! But it's not 3rd because of the scenery and friendly atmosphere, I loved it because it's probably the only race of the year that i've been involved in a proper sprint finish! I overtook a face I recognised from the Morpeth Harriers after about 8 miles and thought I had put distance between us but as I got to the last stretch of beach with another runner I glanced around to see him on my shoulder. The three of us jostled for position, catching up with another Morpeth Harrier we ran the last mile probably quicker than any of the rest. I ended up coming third in the group of four but was happy as I had beaten the bloke I recognised from a previous race. But it was close, had the finish been 10 yards further he probably would have beaten me!
Second place goes to the Les Allcorn 10k. After a couple of 10k's that had not went quite right it all clicked here. The first race I ever did was a 10k in Morpeth but had begun it thinking it was best to take it easy to start with then finish strong. That doesn't work (for me anyway), you can't just fanny about for 4 miles then sprint finish the last two taking out everyone in you way! I ran the Les Allcorn against my watch looking at every kilometre making sure I was under 4 minutes. My goal was to do it in under 40 minutes and I managed to do in well under 39 minutes partly due to a local runner I kept up with from about 3k to the end.
A lot of the races I've done were show races. Me and Glenn would turn up out the back of beyond to take part in a 4 or 5 mile race finishing in the middle of a show field, sometimes cheered(simonside), sometimes ignored(morebattle) but either way great fun!
My favourite race of the year was the Chevy Chase. Through 20 miles of mind games finishing with me running it pretty much exactly how I wanted. I had ran the route three weeks before the event doing a time of 3 1/2 hours and knew I could take 15 minutes off that on a race day. This was always going to be the biggie of the year for me so I set off knowing exactly where I wanted to be.
All went well till I got to the top of Cheviot(not even half way)and felt a twinge of cramp.I ran the next few miles panicing that I would get cramp and all my hard work would be for nothing.Luckily for me a friendly face was at the bottom of Hedghope and she gave me advice on what to do(cheers Alison).
By the time I got to the next checkpoint I still hadn't got the cramp I had been expecting, so I said sod it and picked up my pace.I picked it up even more when I saw Adam Fletcher in the distance.If someone offered me one place behind him at the start of the race I would have took their hand off. So to be catching him with 3 miles to go was great,and gave me the added edge to get to him.
In reality our race within a race lasted about 3 minutes! I caught him up-kept with him up Hells Path-he took away from me,simple as that. I'd like to think I helped him in that race as much as he helped me.
I ended up 8th overall,1st local but the race belonged to John,Cindy and Louise who get a big up because anyone thats finishes a race shattered or shattered with blisters on blisters deserves credit in my book!
The year ended on a downer through injury but i'm hoping i'm over the worst and my goal for the new year is to move from top end also ran (local races, i'm no where on bigger ones) to someone who could actually win a race (well if 3 or 4 of the big boys are missing!!). I'm hoping to do this by training harder and eating healthier, I haven't really changed my diet since I started running. When you look at the people beating me they all look a good bit leaner than me (apart from Adam!). So the half loaf of bread and butter with every meal will have to be cut down to 4 or 5 slices!!
Roll on next year!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hellpath Duel was a highlight for me too Bruce. That gave me a wake-up call at a point I've always struggled with so I reckon I've got you to thank for getting inside my Chevy Target of 3:15. Good read. Hate to say it but, discounting run miles in tri races, I only clocked 382m on the hoof this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like reading the biography of a hero! well done on your ups and I hope your downs take a turning up next year you old bugga you!!

    ReplyDelete