the gaybar chronicles

the gaybar chronicles
gaybar gaybar

Wednesday 3 November 2010

2 BREWERIES

Ive done a few races this year(as i like to mention every now and again)but none can compare to the 2 breweries.it starts in the grounds of traqair house(which has a brewery)and ends 18 miles away ar Broughton brewery-hence the name.
Very friendly and light hearted banter at the start and with this being an nfr championship race there were plenty of familiar faces,along with them  Les Turnbull was there so advice was on hand from a bloke thats pretty much done them all,so when he says "take it easy for the first few miles"you listen,or should i say everybody else would listen,not me though,but an hour or so later i was wishing i had.
The 1st couple of miles were more of a long drag than steep,i was quite well placed but the stronger runners were beginning to pull away,as far as i could see there was only 1 nfr vest in front of me and i had long since decided my race was gonna be against them as i had no idea who or how good most of the scottish runners were.
From the top of Birkscairn the next few miles were very hard,a steep descent over dense heather straight up Stob law,more heather then at last a path.Will Horseley had now passed me with Lee Bennet and were trotting away in the distance,i tried not to get to down hearted as i never get near them anyway but my head was starting to say other things.From here to the end i battled the demons as much as the hills.
Past a water point,grabbed a couple of sweets and followed a couple of runners onto a forest road then an abrupt turn through some trees,lucky i'm following these 2 i thought.Round a corner a very steep fire break lay in wait,impossible to run i started walking hydrating as i went,mind games again as 1 of the runners i was with put some distance between us.
A cheery looking marshal shouted "wheres your mate?"looking around i couldnt see anyone so smiled and kept going,whats he on about i thought.Running again and getting into a decent rhythm only to be greeted by a bloke running the other way"how far to the checkpoint"he asked i almost managed to answer him then another few came past asking the same question,i had no idea if i had gone wrong as well but my fears were put to rest as Lee Bennet came past,they had missed the turn off to the fire break,god was i glad i'm a follower not a leader!
Hard track to help my aching joints then water at Stobo castle,whilst drinking a bloke asked"when did you shave your tache off"what the hell you on about i thought as he pointed to my chest,then it dawned on me,i was number 118!with much "hilarity"i was off this time with a bloke who had done this race twice before"how long to go" i asked "about an hour,depends how boggy the swamp is"he said."swamp"i thought-great!
A mile of forest track then there it was in all its glory"the swamp"but there was something lurking in the background-Trahenna the biggest hill/mountain i have ever seen and i had to get over it.
The next bit was a blur jogging/stumbling till the foot of the hill then walking,everybody seemed to be overtaking me including a couple of women,they were coping better than me,bad thoughts in my head again from "stop and have a rest"to"curl up in a ball and die"but i managed to get to the top,a few last steps then i was off running again,well for about 3 steps anyway till cramp took over my calfs,reaching to pull my toes towards me doubled up in pain with people passing(all shouting encouragement)i took off again then i got it in every part of my legs calf,thigh and groin locked in agony but from the shouts i heard i wasnt the only 1.i wasnt going to give up now so off i trudged trying to free my legs,for at least 5 minutes i ran in agony till i got rid of the cramp then it was another steep descent,every so often i would raise a leg too high and the pain was like being stabbed in the leg(i imagine).the last mile was through Broughton i managed to pick up a few places but at this stage most people were hobbling rather than running.
I couldnt see Leanda or the kids at the finish line just Will and a few people i half recognised,i didnt hang around,just picked up my free bottle of beer and headed up the road to be met by the leanda who had missed me finishing due to traffic!she could see my usual post race emotional face so sent the kids to the park and gave me a much needed hug,i tried to say how hard it had been through tears snot and slaver,i think she got the picture,
i ended up coming 29th in a time of 3 29 48,about 4 mins behind will,which was almost worth it but i must admit i didnt particularly enjoy the race,it was too hard so i dont think i'll be doing it again but hey i said that about the lakeland 50!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a real battle, and to think you wanted me to get involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I was mindlessly wandering through the internet and thought I would see who else in Wooler blogged and then I get to see that photo below... time for a glass of something strong...

    ReplyDelete